Matt's introduction

Tell us a little about yourself.

Matt's introduction

Postby Matt » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:42 pm

Hello.

Who am I? I am a divorced 40 year old man originally from the USA. I have an engineering degree and worked in industry for more than 15 years before selling up and moving abroad to search for a life that would have more value to me. My interests include reading, hiking, gardening.

Why am I interested in forming a community such as Sotrusozer? Well, Kurt Vonnegut once said:

Where do I get my ideas from? You might as well have asked that of Beethoven. He was goofing around in Germany like everybody else, and all of a sudden this stuff came gushing out of him. It was music. I was goofing around like everybody else in Indiana, and all of a sudden stuff came gushing out. It was disgust with civilization.

This captures something of my experience, but on my part it wasn't sudden and disgust isn't the right word. Just recognition that life as it is being led in the USA (and, as I have found out since, in western Europe) is unsustainable, unsatisfying, and intentionally predatory. It is not something I care to continue to take part in, but neither do I care to live as a hermit. Interaction with others is not only fundamental for wellbeing, it is a source of inspiration.

The obvious answer was to either join or found an intentional community (IC) that operated according to principles different from those that guide life in society. I reviewed many communities, and read a fair amount about life in ICs. I came to suspect that, after the initial thrill of founding and creating a basis for the community, life in co-ed ICs quickly dissolves into a soap opera. Drama generated by power grabbing and sexual competition comes to dominate life in the community. This was revealed in both personal accounts of life in ICs and hinted at in statistics such as the brief typical term of residence in them (averaging 18 months for several communities that I reviewed in depth).

I have no interest in being a participant in a soap opera or in giving of myself to a community which has a revolving door for membership. So, small co-ed communities were not the answer. I turned my attention to same-sex communities but, although there are records of successful secular communities of women dating back to the middle ages, I could find no same-sex communities operating today that were not either dedicated to gay life or religious observance. Which left me with trying to found such a community. Which, of course, led to my creating this website. That is why I am here.

Why are you here? Take a moment to create an account and say a few words about yourself. If the thought of a community such as the one I am describing in these pages interests you--even if you wouldn't actually join it yourself--let us know why.

Matt
Matt

Return to Introductions